Milestone 4: Project Description and Personas¶
Due Date: September 16 @11:59pm
For this milestone your group will provide a one-paragraph description of the proposed project, along with some information about who will use your software and why.
Meet with your Client¶
In order to do this you will need to meet with your client. Before you do that, review our design process lecture, especially the bits about talking to your client.
Some of the main questions that you will need to ask your client:
- What is your name? How will we communicate with you (email, phone, face-to-face)? How often can we bother you with questions?
- What do you do? What does you business do? How does it generate revenue?
- Why do you want this app? How are you handling things now without an app? Show me.
- Add a one-paragraph page to your wiki called “Project Description” which describes what your project will be. Focus on the goals of the project: what the app will achieve (not so much on what it will look like). This is meant to be your general vision statement. Also specify the platform you are targeting.
- If you have a client, then after the paragraph add your primary contact’s name (your client), title and company, email address, and any other relevant information, as well as any secondary contact persons your client wants you to talk to. If you are a startup, ignore this ( but, you should be thinking about people you can convince to volunteer as your users/beta testers).
- Add at least three personas, one wiki page for each, to your wiki. These should cover 3 distinct user-types for your app. We discussed personas in our Design Process lecture, for more details read this article on Personas. Each Persona must have a name, photo, and personal history.
Note: Github does not allow you to directly upload a photo to the wiki. Instead, create a dummy Issue. You can upload photos to an issue comments (just drag-n-drop). Then you can use the URL of the uploaded photo in your wiki page. See this example. Another way is to just git-clone the wiki and add the images to the wiki repo itself. I highly recommend you read the About GitHub Wikis Help Page.
Do not make any changes to the wiki pages used for this milestone after the deadline. Wait until after you receive the grade for the milestone to make any further changes to these pages.
- Is the wiki page “Project Description” up?
- Does it contain the information we requested (above)?
- Are there 3 Personas?
- with photos?
- with demographic information? age, income, education,
- with professional title? student, salesperson, physician,
- with other details relevant to your app?
- with a story? that exemplifies the persona’s skills, feelings, attitudes, concerns, relationships ?
- with a goal(s)? as it pertains to using your app. That is, what does the user want (goal)? that you app will help in achieving. For example, Bob wants to get fit, so he uses our app to keep track of his workouts.
- Are the 3 personas different? do they belong to different groups of users of your app?